Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Etsy Treasures Tuesday - "Waiting to Become"

I love to "window shop" on line. One of my favorite places to do it is Etsy. You just never know what you might find there! Recently, I was searching for handmade journals. 

I am not much of a reader, so it is not surprising that some of my favorite books have blank pages! I probably have purchased thirty or forty journals over the years... each with blank pages... each never even written in. Why? Blank pages are akin to a blank canvas... until you begin the process of creating, anything is possible! I'm a collector, a writer, a stamper, a sketcher, a recorder... and I am a perfectionist at heart.   Although I have bought my journals with a particular "purpose" in mind... I fear the moment I put something in them it might ruin the opportunity for them to become anything I want them to be. I know. Sounds nuts. But those books and their blank pages are still waiting to become. Commiting them to any one of my whims might suppress the hope and promise of a better idea that is yet to be. And so, the blank pages are of comfort to me. They represent freedom, so to speak. So hears a look at some of the cool journals on Etsy that are calling to me right now. 


"Whipped Cream and Other Delights" was one of Herb Albert and the Tijuana Brass' most popular albums.  It featured some great songs that bring back childhood memories for me.  Songs like "A Taste of Honey" and "Whipped Cream" (otherwise known at the Dating Game song) were frequently playing on our record player.   (Yes, I know.  I'm old.  At least I didn't say phonograph.)   If you don't know who Herb Alpert is, you've missed out on music history in the '60's... and early 70's.  So sad for you! 

Moving on...


I've discovered many artists are making nostalgic children's books into journals.  I'm not a fan of the green interior pages here, but I have a soft spot for "Lady and the Tramp."   I loved the movie as a kid, as a mother, and as a grandmother.  It's just a great story... and makes a cute little journal.  Incidentally, some of the artists who make these clever books actually include pages of the story in between blank pages of paper.  I just think that's neat!


What can I say?  Recycled.  All-American.  Delicious.  And a journal to boot!




Now this little gem is a great journal.  I loved this story when I was a kid.  In fact, when we were on vacation in Williamsburg, Virginia, my parents bought me a Red Riding Hood hand-made doll.  It had Red Riding Hood on one side, complete with red calico dress and cape with hood.  Flip the dress over and Granny was on the other side in a brown calico dress with a white kerchief, just like you see drawn in the children's books.   But when you pulled Granny's kerchief down,  there was the wolf with teeth bared, "all the better to eat you with, my dear!"   It was a very well-made doll and a great companion for a daydreamer and aspiring puppeteer!  This journal is just fabulous and is of the type I described earlier where the storybook pages are scattered throughout the blank pages.

Check out Etsy for a wide variety of journals just "waiting to become"  -- little blank canvases for dreaming to your heart's content!

No comments: