Saturday, October 15, 2011

New Components Made by Moi!

 I've been experimenting again.  I bought some new "how-to's!  

The first was a tutorial on flower beads.  Yes, the big flower bead was made by me!  Thanks to a "plum blossom" pattern I purchased from Kathryn Bowman on Etsy, I have learned to make a variety of flower beads.   This one features grey dagger beads and purple AB flowers.  I think it turned out lovely!

After purchasing that tutorial, I began to wonder what other wonderful tutorials I could find on Etsy.  So with a simple search of "tutorials" I stumbled across another one that caught my eye.   A few months ago, one of the bead magazine covers featured enameled beads.  I was really intrigued by the finish on them.  So when my search turned up a tutorial on torch firing enamel by Barbara Lewis, I decided to give it a whirl because the description of her technique made it seem fairly easy.  I already had most of the supplies in my studio (except the enamel), so I also ordered a sample set of enamels.  They arrived earlier this week, but I didn't start experimenting until today.  The butterflies above were made with robin egg blue enamel over Vintaj Arte Metal. 

I've always liked the way purple and aqua play together, so this was the perfect opportunity to pair up the colors in this bracelet and show-off the new components I made myself.  I used a sterling silver toggle clasp, purple melon beads, gun-metal spacers, and Czech glass leaves that are purple on one side and aqua AB on the other.   To break-up the feminity of this one, I used a handmade steel coil as a bridge on the underside of the bracelet. 

Here are a few more pics:


No comments: