Saturday, August 25, 2012

Signature Style

I've been reflecting on the post from early this morning, and realized from a design standpoint I've drifted away from a "signature style."   When I first started making jewelry, before I got so into learning about all the various techniques, I had a definite look and feel to my designs.  It was pretty eclectic, but there was more of myself in them, than a particular method of creation. 

So, today, I bought a mini-journal and tried to articulate the things that were important to me when I first started.  I came up with this list:

  • Quality components
  • Unique assembly
  • Use at least one hand-made artisan element (hand-made charm, embellished trinket, etc.)
  • Artistic style (not just "strung" beads)
  • Wearability:  function over form
And for selling purposes, I identified justifiable price points... based on length of time to make the piece (and any of its components) and price of materials used.   This is fairly easy to calculate by using Eni Oken's price calculator

In my little journal, I defined what each of these points means to me, adding some description and examples.  I'm planning on using it as a reference when beginning a project.... if it doesn't fit the signature, I'll pass on the project, at least until I get my mojo back. 

For my own inspiration, I'm posting a few of the pieces I have been most fond of... ones I feel reflect the "designer" in me, not the technique geek I've become.   Most have new homes now, except those I kept for myself!  Please enjoy!

 Quality components... lampwork, brass...
 
 Artistic style...
 
Artisan elements... my own lampwork beads...
 
 Unique assembly....artistic style...

 Artistic style... unique assembly...

Artisan elements...beaded flower, enameled butterflies of my own hand...
 
 Unique assembly...hand-made bead clusters...

Unique assembly... quality components...
 
 Artisan elements... my own metal clay pendant
 
 
Artisan components... my own lampwork beads...

 Artisan components... bead units and hand-hammered pendant...
 
 Unique assembly...artistic design...
 
 Unique assembly...
 
 Artisan elements... my own lampwork beads...
 
 Artistic design...quality materials...
 
 
Unique connections....quality materials...
 
 Unique assembly... quality components...

Artisan elements... hand-made charms....

 Artisan techniques... metal stamping and riveting...

 Quality materials... artistic design...

 Unique assembly...

Quality materials.... Thai silver and gemstones....
 
All these designs have one thing in common... I was "feeling" them when they were created.  I remember being in "the zone," the world shut out, and it was just me and the desire to create.   In my journey to design again, this is my destination.

No comments: